· 1 Box of whole wheat Farfalle Pasta (or any other short grain pasta)
· 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (you can substitute this with other fresh herbs!)
· 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
· 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
· 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package
2. Meanwhile, combine the herbs and the nuts in a food processor, then pulse a few times. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.)
3. Add the garlic, amd pulse a few times more.
4. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while the food processor is on, until it’s a creamy paste. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
5. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
6. Drain the pasta, and serve with the pesto warm or at room temp. garnish with basil, tomatoes and cheese. Enjoy!